The Band was formed in January 1974 after a number of meetings at the request of the Barry Carnival Committee. Some instruments were available from the old Barry Silver Band which went out of existence in 1955.
Mr Islwyn Williams, who was a member of Barry Silver, started a series of youth classes, these instruments were purchased around 1918 and, due to these being used by various young people, were in a bad state of repair.
Following the public meetings, approaches were made to the local businesses in the area, and fund raising activities began. Over a period of six months several new and reconditioned instruments were purchased, enabling the Band to take part in various activities for the Carnival Committee, including the leading of the Carnival procession with a band existing of 32 players.
Since that time instruments and uniforms have been replaced, and in October 1983 the Band took over the old Gospel Hall on Barry Road as a dedicated band room. This was used for approximately 19 years, before the band moved to their current home at Barry Athletic Club in 2012.